Fire officials say a driver was severely burned when the lighted cigarette he threw out of his car window was blown back in and ignited the interior of the vehicle.
It happened about 6:45 p.m. Sunday in Elsmere, Delaware.
Chief Deputy State Fire Marshall Robert Cox said in a news release that 49-year-old Travis Paul Smith of Elsmere was driving on Route 141 when he threw a lighted cigarette out of his car.
Fox says the wind blew the cigarette back into the car and ignited the interior.
He says the vehicle came to rest in a ravine and several motorists stopped and pulled Smith to safety.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Fox says Smith suffered second- and third-degree burns to his lower body.
He was flown to the Crozer-Chester Medical Center in Upland, Pennsylvania.