2 Teens in Critical Condition Following ‘Bloodbath' Stabbing at Center City SEPTA Station

Police are searching for a male and female suspect, both possibly in their teens.

Two teenagers are fighting for their lives following a horrific double stabbing at a Center City SEPTA station that witnesses described as a "bloodbath."

The two 17-year-old boys were involved in a fight with the two suspects on the eastbound platform of the 8th and Market Street station Wednesday afternoon, police said. During the fight, both boys were stabbed.

One teen was stabbed once in the neck, once in the stomach and once in the left arm. The second teen was stabbed once in the chest, once in the stomach and was cut on the wrist. 

Quam Pettigrew, 15, told NBC10 he was on his way to the dentist when he witnessed the stabbing and bloody aftermath.

"There was like a big hole right here in the middle of his neck," Pettigrew said. "He was saying, 'I just don't want to die right now. I really don't want to die.'"

The first teen was taken to Jefferson Hospital while the second teen was taken to Hahnemann Hospital.

Both teens are in critical condition.


Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.

Gunman Kills Man, Injures His Father and Fires Shots at Police

Gunman Shoots Girl in Chester, Pennsylvania

Witnesses described the stabbing as something similar to a scene from a horror movie. One of the victims walked around disoriented, not knowing at first where he was stabbed.

"All I seen was a bloody mess," one witness said. "It's something that shouldn't be happening in the center of the city because I look at this as being a safe haven. I've been a long time resident of Philadelphia and it gets scary at times."

Police are searching for a male and female suspect, both possibly in their teens. They are also searching through surveillance video and showing it to witnesses in hopes of identifying the suspects.

SEPTA held an eastbound train that was stopped at the 2nd Street Station so that police could search. Police did not find the suspects on the train and it was released.

Eastbound trains bypassed the 8th Street Station as police investigated. Normal service on the Market Frankford Line later resumed.

If you have any information on the incident, please contact Philadelphia Police.

Contact Us