Carbon Monoxide Sickens 4

Four people taken to the hospital for high levels of carbon monoxide

Four people were sickened by carbon monoxide in Philadelphia on Sunday and rushed to the hospital.

The victims were overcome inside an apartment building at 1823 South Broad.

When NBC10 Photographer Pete Kane arrived on the scene people were being evacuated. Some were sitting outside with their pets.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. The Environmental Protection Agency warns:

Because it is impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, CO can kill you before you are aware it is in your home. At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.

Text PHIBREAKING to 639710 for Breaking News Alerts (data rates apply)

Contact Us