Employees at a local café are doing their part to help a man who lost everything after a gas explosion in South Philadelphia.
On Thursday, shortly after 7 p.m., a gas explosion ignited three homes on the 1800 block of South Bancroft Street.
Investigators say two Philadelphia Gas Works employees were investigating a possible gas leak in the basement of one of the homes when a gas-fueled explosion ignited a fire.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The two workers as well as another person were all injured in the fire.
According to the Red Cross, at least eight people were displaced. One of those displaced residents was Ron Talton, an employee at Chris’ Jazz Café.
Staff members at the café say that Talton lost everything in the explosion and they are now organizing a fundraiser to help him.
“We will be collecting donations for Ron so he can begin to rebuild his life,” they wrote in a message on their Facebook page. “Ron has been a dedicated employee of Chris’ Jazz Café for over five years. The staff and management of Chris’ will accept any donation amounts or items on Ron’s behalf.”
If you would like to donate money or items, call 215-568-3131 or send donations to Chris’ Jazz Café at 1421 Sansom Street, Philadelphia, Pa., 19102.