Delaware County

Delco Officer Hurt in Shooting Goes Home, Suspect Faces Charges

A Delaware County police officer whose life was saved by his bulletproof vest when police say an armed man shot him early Sunday morning has been released from the hospital.

Ridley Park Police Officer Marc Hanly is home celebrating with his family and his fellow officers. Authorities and Hanly credit his vest with saving his life.

"If I didn't have my vest on we wouldn't be here for this party," he said. "I'm alive. Very thankful for that." 

As Hanly, who was shot in the vest and in the leg, recovers, the suspect accused of shooting him, Darrel Burt, is facing a slew of charges, officials said. Burt is charged with attempted first-degree murder, aggravated assault, reckless endangerment and weapons violations. He was being held on $500,000 cash bail Sunday afternoon.

[[323371391, C]]

Hanly and his partner were called to Mohawk Avenue near Summit, in Norwood, about 1 a.m. for the report of a suicidal man, authorities said. When the officers arrived, they spoke with the man, later identified as Burt, but police said when they tried to go in the house, Burt shut the door and fired two shots at them.

"We don't know what we're going to walk into with that type of individual," Hanly said.

Hanly was hit twice. The officers returned fire and struck Burt in the elbow, police said. They called for backup, and SWAT officers responded, leading to a standoff.

Burt surrendered after about an hour and was taken into custody without further incident, authorities said. He was taken to Taylor Hospital and treated for his gunshot wound, then to jail to face charges.

He is scheduled to face a preliminary hearing Sept. 9 at 9:30 a.m., according to court records.

Hanly, one of 18 full-time or part-time officers in Ridley Park, told NBC10 a grueling physical therapy program is ahead though he wants to get back in uniform. Yet while he knows it will be several weeks before he returns to duty he's also thankful to be alive.

"It was scary," he said. "It’s something we’re always told could happen anytime. We know we could walk out the door and never return. It went through my mind 100 times over after I got shot last night.”

Contact Us