Beanie Sigel Remains Sedated, Unable to Talk With Police After Shooting

Beanie Sigel remains sedated and unable to talk with investigators after being shot outside his Jersey Shore home two days ago.

The Philadelphia rapper, whose real name is Dwight Grant, is in critical condition following surgery at AtlantiCare Regional Medical Center in Atlantic City, New Jersey on Friday, Pleasantville Police tell NBC10 on Sunday.

Sigel was rushed into surgery after being shot in the stomach as he returned to his Pleasantville home along the 800 block of Spruce Avenue. He had just dropped his kids off at school when the gunfire erupted.

The 40-year-old's attorney said it appeared that Sigel was not the intended target in the shooting. Police believe the shooting took place after an argument outside the home.

Pleasantville Police said officers executed a search warrant at the home on Saturday. They did not elaborate as to what they were looking for or what may have been found.

Detectives have been questioning several people in the case including a man that jumped from a car after fleeing the scene. They've been trying to talk with another victim, 22-year-old Umar Salahuddin, who was involved in the altercation. Police say he has been uncooperative and that his family owns the home.

Investigators are also waiting to speak to Sigel, but so far have been unable to get his side because of the severity of his injuries.

Sigel was shot a day before his federal probation ended. He had been under home confinement following his release from federal prison this summer where he served two years for tax evasion.

No one has been arrested in the shooting.

The rapper had three albums make it into the top five on the Billboard charts and was signed to Jay-Z's Roc-A-Fella Records for a time. He has a concert, "Beanie Sigel: The Return," scheduled for Dec. 18 in Philadelphia.

NBC10's Ted Greenberg contributed to this report.

Contact Vince Lattanzio at 610.668.5532, or follow @VinceLattanzio on Twitter.

Contact Us