Woman Dead, 3 Men Hurt After Kensington Shooting - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Woman Dead, 3 Men Hurt After Kensington Shooting



    Kensington Shootings

    One woman is dead and three others injured after gunfire broke out in Kensington. Dozens of people who were out on a warm night dove for cover. (Published Tuesday, April 9, 2013)

    Carolina Estevez says she knew something went wrong the moment she stepped outside.

    "I knew that people got shot," she said. "People were scared and running into their houses really fast."

    A woman is dead and three other people are hurt after a quadruple shooting in the Kensington section of Philadelphia.

    The shooting took place at Somerset and North Lee Streets around 6 p.m. Tuesday, police say.

    "Based on ballistic evidence at the scene, we know that at least seven shots were fired with a semi-automatic handgun," said Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small.

    A 21-year-old woman was taken to Episcopal Hospital where she died from her injuries. Police also say three men, ages 18, 21, and 35, were all taken to Temple University Hospital. The sister of the 21-year-old man says her brother was having dinner with his wife when he stepped outside after he heard gunshots. He was then struck in the lower body by a stray bullet. All three men are in stable condition.

    Investigators say there were hundreds of people outside when the shooting occurred.

    "Due to the weather being unseasonably warm today we had a large crowd of people," said Small.

    Police are searching for one shooter and possible accomplices. They are currently looking through surveillance video taken from several businesses. They have not yet released a description of the suspect.

    The shooting was one of several that took place in the city on Tuesday.

    An 18-year-old man was shot several times in the chest while he was riding his bike on 54th and Chestnut shortly after 11 p.m. He was taken to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania where he was pronounced dead.

    A 47-year-old man was shot in the right thigh on Girard Avenue around 7:50 p.m. He was taken to Hahnemann Hospital where he is in stable condition.

    Police say another man was shot in the arm around 7 p.m. on the 100 block of Raymond Street. He is currently in stable condition.

    No arrests have been made in any of the four shooting incidents. If you have any information, please call Philadelphia Police.