Surveillance Pics Released of Suspect in School Bomb Threats, Arson - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Surveillance Pics Released of Suspect in School Bomb Threats, Arson



    Surveillance Video: School Arsonist

    The man suspected of setting fire to a local high school was caught on camera. Take a good look. (Published Wednesday, May 29, 2013)

    Police have released surveillance video of a suspect who they believe set fire to and made a series of threats against a local high school.

    On April 18, a fire broke out inside Penn Wood High School, Green Avenue Campus, in Lansdowne. Police say the blaze, which broke out around 4 a.m., was intentionally set. Investigators say the fire started in the school's lobby and spread throughout the first floor and into school offices.

    Firefighters were able to put out that blaze but a search of the building showed another fire in a classroom on the north side of the school that "was obviously set," according to officials.

    The damage was so extensive that the building likely won't be repaired until the next school year. The arson came after three bomb threats were made against the school in February; two on Feb. 19 and one on Feb. 21. Police say a fourth bomb threat was made the same day as the arson.

    Parents Angry Over School Arson Investigation

    [PHI] Parents Angry Over School Arson Investigation
    Parents met with police and the Citizens Crime Commission Tuesday night, for the latest on an arson investigation at Penn Wood High School in Lansdowne, PA. Investigators say they are working new leads into the fire, but parents expressed anger, and say they weren't told of several other threats. NBC10's Nefertiti Jaquez attended Tuesday night's meeting.
    (Published Tuesday, April 30, 2013)

    Students at the school were eventually transferred to Penn Wood's Cypress Street campus in Yeadon. But on April 26, only two days after the transferred students arrived, another bomb threat was made at the Cypress Street campus. Police say the message indicated the school would be "blown up."

    While a sweep of the school found nothing, the threat was enough for Pennsylvania congressman Bob Brady to get involved.

    "We cannot tolerate this level of destruction and threats against our school," said Brady.

    Brady requested that the FBI and U.S. Attorney's Office conduct an investigation on both the arson and multiple bomb threats against the school.

    "Any threat to blow up our children must be treated as a high level and real threat," he said.

    On Wednesday, police released surveillance video of a suspect in the bomb threats and arson. The first two clips are from March 20. Police say the videos show the suspect riding away from the school on a bike and standing in front of the building. Finally, a third surveillance video from April 18 shows the suspect walking behind the bleachers outside the school before walking into the building.

    Arson Shuts Down School

    [PHI] Arson Shuts Down School
    Penn Wood High School is now done for the year after a fire was set inside of the building. NBC10's Deanna Durante has the latest.
    (Published Thursday, April 18, 2013)

    During a meeting on April 30, parents expressed their outrage over what they believe to be a slow response from the Penn Wood school district in regard to the threats.

    "How seriously did we take this when the initial calls came in?" asked Roxanne Norman during the meeting. "This was happening consecutively over the last several months and no one had notified me."

    Norman says she learned about the bomb threats and arson from her son, rather than school officials.

    "There was no formal communication with the parents," she said.

    During the meeting, Penn Wood school superintendent Joseph Bruni claimed parents were notified by phone. He also acknowledged, however, that the district could have done a better job making sure every parent was fully aware of what was going on.

    As officials continue to investigate, students are on edge.

    Fire Started in High School

    [PHI] Fire Started in High School
    A fire that was started in Penn Wood High School now threatens the school being open for the rest of the school year. NBC10's Tim Furlong reports.
    (Published Thursday, April 18, 2013)

    "I don't feel safe," said one student. "I'm scared."

    A $22,000 reward is now being offered to anyone with information leading to the arrest of the person or people responsible for the arson and bomb threats. If you have any information, please call the Yeadon Police Department at 610-623-1500.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS