Murder Warrant Issued in Stray-Bullet Killing - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Murder Warrant Issued in Stray-Bullet Killing



    Murder Warrant Issued in Stray-Bullet Killing
    Tamika Borum with her 3-year-old daughter, Tynirah, during happier times. The young girl was killed when a stray bullet struck her.

    Philadelphia Police announced Monday afternoon that the manhunt continues for the alleged triggerman in the stray-bullet killing of a 3-year-old Philadelphia girl.

    Police Captain James Clark spoke to reporters about the shooting death of Tynirah Borum along the 1500 block of S Etting Street in the city's Grays Ferry neighborhood.

    Clark reiterated that investigators believe that 22-year-old Brandon Ruffin, of the 1300 block of Wharton Street, fired the shot that wounded three adults and killed Tynirah, who was hit by a stray bullet.

    Investigators already charged Ruffin's alleged accomplice, Douglas Woods, with murder and other offenses, but witnesses and police tell NBC10 Ruffin was the gunman.

    Search for 2nd Suspect in Child’s Murder

    [PHI] Search for 2nd Suspect in Child’s Murder
    Philadelphia Police have issued an arrest warrant for Brandon Ruffin. Investigators say he’s responsible for the shooting death of a three-year old girl Friday night in Gray’s Ferry. One man is already in custody. NBC10’s Nefertiti Jaquez has details.
    (Published Sunday, Aug. 3, 2014)

    A judge already denied Woods, 22, of the 1400 block of South Ringgold Street, bail. Ruffin, however, remained at large, considered armed and dangerous, according to Clark.

    Court records show that Ruffin had multiple run-ins with the law in his past. The at-large suspect was released from prison July 3 -- less than a month before he allegedly pulled a gun when he got into an argument, according to police.

    Ruffin, Woods and another man, 24, were arguing along Etting Street, according to police. In a moment the neighborhood street, where Tynirah was getting her hair done by a family friend, turned violent.

    Ruffin allegedly pulled out a gun and started firing, according to witnesses.

    The intended target -- the 24-year-old man involved in the argument -- suffered a gunshot wound to the head and three others -- Tynirah, a 21-year-old man and a 28-year-old woman -- were also hit, according to officials.

    Tynirah was struck in the left side of her chest and died a short time later at the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. The three others were transported to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

    Man Arraigned After Shooting Death of Girl

    [PHI] Man Arraigned After Shooting Death of Girl
    A man was arraigned early Sunday morning after he was arrested in connection to the shooting death of a 3-year-old girl. NBC10's Jesse Gary has the details.
    (Published Sunday, Aug. 3, 2014)

    Woods' preliminary hearing is scheduled for Aug. 20.

    A $20,000 reward was offered for information leading to an arrest and conviction.

    Anyone with information on the crime or Ruffin's whereabouts is urged to contact police.