Possible Drug Ring Connection to Bound Men Tossed Into Schuylkill River - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Possible Drug Ring Connection to Bound Men Tossed Into Schuylkill River



    NBC10's Jesse Gary is in Southwest Philadelphia with reaction from neighbors as investigators search two properties in connection with Wednesday's abduction and murder of two men. (Published Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014)

    A day after a soaking wet man, bound and suffering from stab wounds, crawled from Philadelphia's Schuylkill River after he and two other men were abducted, attacked, robbed and dumped into the water, the investigation continued on two sides of a street miles away.

    Philadelphia Police spent overnight outside two properties along 72nd Street in Southwest Philadelphia after being led there by the lone survivor of the deadly attack.

    Investigators got a search warrant then rummaged through the houses, yards and stoarge bins along the 2400 block of 72nd Street in Southwest Philly.

    The investigation began more than 24 hours earlier when officers rushed to the water along Kelly Drive near Hunting Park Avenue in Fairmount Park around 4 a.m. Wednesday after someone called 911 to report a partially-dressed injured man screaming along the roadway.

    Investigation of Properties Tied to Drug Ring, Abduction, Murders

    [PHI] Investigation of Properties Tied to Drug Ring, Abduction, Murders
    Police are investigating two properties that may be connected to the kidnapping of three men who were bound, stabbed and thrown into the Schuylkill River. NBC10's Jesse Gary reports live from outside the properties where police have made a new discovery.
    (Published Thursday, Aug. 28, 2014)

    When authorities arrived on the scene, they found the man, identified by NBC10 sources as 23-year-old Thanh Voong, soaking wet and suffering from multiple stab wounds to his stomach and legs. His arms and legs were partially bound and he had duct tape on his face.

    The attack left Voong in critical condition at Hahnemann University Hospital, where he underwent surgery for seven stab wounds.

    Investigators found two unidentified bodies submerged in the water -- both bound with tape and tied or tethered to some sort of anchor.

    Philadelphia Police Chief Inspector Scott Small said the victim told investigators that about five men abducted him near 62nd Street and Woodland Avenue in Southwest Philly and threw him into the back of a van around 1 a.m. Wednesday.

    "While in the back of the van he was blindfolded, he was stabbed numerous times, he was robbed of an undisclosed amount of money," said Small. "He says that while in the back of the van he then realized that there were two other males in the back of the van... they were duct taped and they appeared to have been stabbed numerous times."

    Police believe at some point Tuesday night, the abductors brought the men to a home at 72nd and Elmwood Streets. Officers returned to the home Wednesday night. Investigators tell NBC10 they found a marijuana growing operation inside a nearby trailer, leading them to believe the abduction and attack were related to drugs. Small also said that robbery was the motive behind the attack.

    New Details in Possible Motive For Bodies Found in River

    [PHI] New Details in Possible Motive For Bodies Found in River
    Police believe their may be a drug connection involved in the two bodies and one survivor who were stabbed and thrown into the Schuykill river.
    (Published Wednesday, Aug. 27, 2014)

    Neighbors told NBC10 that a resident of the Southwest Philly could be seen Wednesday morning removing some items from his property. He hasn't been seen since.

    Detectives are reviewing surveillance video that captured the area near where the abduction took place in hopes of finding the van and the suspects.

    Police earlier responded to the victim's Northern Liberties home to collect evidence.

    "There were original reports of blood evidence," said Philadelphia Police Cpt. James Clark. "That is not the case. Through the investigation we found out the surviving victim lived there so we went to that residence. But the crime did not happen there."

    Police continue to investigate. No arrests have been made.