'Careless Smoking' Likely Cause of Deadly Montco Fire - NBC 10 Philadelphia
Montgomery County News

Montgomery County News

News and information from across the county

'Careless Smoking' Likely Cause of Deadly Montco Fire

Red Cross Helping 20 People Displaced by Fire.



    One Dead After Pottstown Apartment Fire

    One person is dead after an overnight fire in a Montgomery County apartment building. NBC10’s Matt Delucia is in Pottstown where he spoke to someone who escaped the flames. (Published Friday, Dec. 23, 2016)

    Officials said one person was killed and 20 were displaced by an apartment fire in Pottstown overnight. 

    That adult victim was found in a room on the second floor according to Fire Chief Richard Lengel.

    Chief Lengel told NBC10 that 'careless smoking' was the likely cause of the fire.

    Several other people escaped the flames, including Carlos Ortiz, who told NBC10's Matt DeLucia he and his girlfriend saw the smoke whils they were still inside. "It was just crazy. We got the little ones out, rushed out of there as fast as possible," he said.

    The American Red Cross of Eastern Pennsylvania said it was helping 20 people, including 7 kids after the fire that broke out around 1:30 a.m. along the 400 block of High Street. 

    Officials did not immediately identify the man who died.