Medical Examiner Rules How Missing Bartender Died - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Medical Examiner Rules How Missing Bartender Died

New Hope bartender was drunk when she accidentally drowned in Lambertville canal, medical examiner says



    Medical Examiner Rules How Missing Bartender Died
    Family Photo
    Jan. 31, 2013: Sarah Majoras' body was positively identified, one day after being pulled from the iced-over waters in the D & R canal near her home in Lambertville, New Jersey.

    A New Hope bartender whose body was found in the icy water of the D & R canal in Lambertville, N.J. Jan. 30 was drunk when she died from accidental drowning.

    Toxicology results showed that Sarah Majoras had a "high level of alcohol content in the blood" at the time of her death, Hunterdon County Prosecutor Anthony Kearns, III, said in a release Monday.

    The county medical examiner determined that Majoras' drowning was "tragic accident," Kearns said. 

    Majoras was a beloved bartender in the neighboring town of New Hope, Pa. The discovery of her body ended a four-day, intense search by family, friends, law enforcement and volunteers.

    Body Identified as Missing Bartender

    [PHI] Body Identified as Missing Bartender
    It could take weeks before we know what killed a missing Lambertville, NJ bartender. On Thursday, prosecutors in Hunterdon County positively identified the body found in the D&R canal as 39-year-old Sarah Majoras. NBC10's Cydney Long reports on what investigators think happened.
    (Published Thursday, Jan. 31, 2013)

    Investigators said all along they didn't suspect foul play. In the days following Majoras' death, the medical examiner who performed the autopsy said there were no signs of trauma to Majoras' body. All of her clothing and her belongings were intact when she was pulled up from the icy canal.

    She was last seen, in surveillance video, crossing the bridge from New Hope over to Lambertville in the early hours of Jan. 26 as she walked to the home she shared with her boyfriend.

    When she never made it home, the boyfriend called 911 and the search for Sarah began.

    A break in the case came when a freelance photographer found a leather boot in the canal. She snapped a photo and alerted police. Friends said the boot belonged to Majoras. Shortly after that, the 39-year-old's body was found in the canal behind the Lambertville train station.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS