Kids Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Leaks in Ice Skating Rink

Carbon Monoxide Found in Skating Rink, Kids Hospitalized Getty

Several children were taken to the hospital after carbon monoxide leaked inside an ice skating rink.

EMS workers were called to the Ice Land Skating Center in Hamilton Township around 10 a.m. on Saturday after children at the rink became sick.

The Fire Department soon arrived at the scene and detected high levels of carbon monoxide. The building was evacuated and seven children were taken to the hospital and treated for symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

While officials have not yet revealed the conditions of the children, they also say their symptoms are not life-threatening.

A Hazmat team searched through the building and found a damaged hot water heater. The heater was likely the source of the carbon monoxide, according to officials.

The entire building was ventilated.

The rink is expected to reopen today.