Innocent Elderly Shootout Victim's Last Phone Call Before Being Hit - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Innocent Elderly Shootout Victim's Last Phone Call Before Being Hit

89-year-old killed during neighbor's nighttime standoff



    Man Accused in Deadly Standoff With Police

    A Bucks County man is charged in a police standoff that turned deadly. Now, investigators are trying to determine if the innocent victim was shot and killed by his gun - or a police weapon. NBC10's Nefertiti Vazquez reports. (Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013)

    An 89-year-old woman killed when a bullet careened into her Bucks County home during a police standoff has been identified.

    Marie Zienkewicz was shot once in the chest while she stood inside her apartment at Jefferson on the Creek in Warminster last night, the Bucks County District Attorney’s Office confirms to NBC10’s Monique Braxton. It was around 8 p.m. when Zienkewicz’s upstairs neighbor Andrew Cairns allegedly began a shootout with officers, authorities say.

    Scared by the firefight, the elderly woman called her daughter, law enforcement sources tell NBC10’s Denise Nakano. The two hung up and when the daughter tried to call back, there was no answer, sources say. The DA’s office says Zienkewicz was at her door when she was shot.

    It could be a few days before officials determine whether the bullet that killed Zienkewicz came from police or the alleged gunman’s weapon, the DA's office says.

    Police Standoff Suspect Faces $10 Million Bail

    [PHI] Police Standoff Suspect Faces $10 Million Bail
    49-year-old Andrew Cairns is charged with trying to kill police during a standoff outside his Warminster apartment Tuesday night. Cairns' girlfriend called police and claimed the suspect attempted to kill himself, according to official documents. When policed arrived, shots were fired, one of which killed 89-year-old Marie Zienkewicz who lived below Cairns. It is still unclear whether the victim was shot by Cairns or police. Cairns' bond is set at ten million dollars. NBC10's Monique Braxton reports.
    (Published Wednesday, Feb. 20, 2013)

    Forty residents were evacuated from apartment complex at 675 Street Road, police say. No officers or other residents were hurt in the shootout.

    Cairns, 49, surrendered to police around 2:30 this morning and charged with criminal homicide, aggravated assault and reckless endangerment. He is being held on $10 million bail.