Man Gets House Arrest for Winter Classic Brawl - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Man Gets House Arrest for Winter Classic Brawl

Accused instigator will be electronically monitored for 11 1/2 to 23 months



    Man Gets House Arrest for Winter Classic Brawl
    Philadelphia Police
    Dennis Veteri will serve house arrest after being the accused instigator in the post-Winter Classic fight that left a Rangers fan hurt.

    The Flyers fan caught on camera beating up two Rangers fans – knocking one unconscious -- after the Winter Classic will spend at least almost a year on house arrest.

    A Philadelphia judge on Friday sentenced Glassboro, N.J. resident Dennis Veteri, 33, to 11 1/2 to 23 months of house arrest followed by five years of probation, according to court records.

    On Jan. 2 after the NHL Winter Classic at Citizens Bank Park, Veteri and a group of other Flyers fans attacked two Rangers fans, one of whom was an off-duty Woodbridge, N.J., outside of Geno’s Steaks in South Philly.

    Veteri, who was at a nearby bar with some friends before the fight, was caught on camera knocking Officer Neil Auricchio, who was in Philly for the game, out cold. Police later identified Veteri as the instigator in the drunken brawl.

    Rangers Fans Speaks on Beating

    [PHI] Rangers Fans Speaks on Beating
    Neal Auricchio, the man brutally beaten by Flyers fans after the Winter Classic, tells his side of the story.
    (Published Thursday, Jan. 19, 2012)

    "As we all saw on the video it is a vicious beating with the conclusion of a knock down punch which knocks the police officer unconscious," said Philadelphia Police Capt. Laurence Nodiff

    Veteri pleaded guilty in August to aggravated assault and possessing instruments of crime, according to court records.

    The Philadelphia Daily News reports that prosecutors asked for prison time, but Veteri's lawyer says his client is “a good man who had a bad day.”

    Auricchio, who is also an Iraq War veteran, was beaten unconscious and suffered broken eye socket bones and lacerations.

    "I was overwhelmed by a mob and two to three guys starting punching me, kicking me," Auricchio told NBC New York. "I get back to my feet and that blindside punch knocks me unconscious."

    Veteri will be electronically monitored. He is permitted to leave his home for work and must also attend drug/alcohol treatment, according to court records.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS