Man Accused of Shooting 6 Philly Police Officers During 7-Hour Standoff Surrenders - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Man Accused of Shooting 6 Philly Police Officers During 7-Hour Standoff Surrenders

The injured officers were released from the hospital

Suspect Surrenders After Hourslong Standoff in Philadelphia

A man accused of shooting six Philadelphia police officers during a lengthy standoff and hostage situation is in custody after surrendering to police. A SWAT team shot tear gas into the home before the suspect walked out around midnight. (Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019)

What to Know

  • A man accused of shooting six Philadelphia police officers during a standoff that lasted more than seven hours surrendered to police.

  • Gunfire erupted after narcotics police served a warrant to a home in Nicetown-Tioga around 4:30 p.m.

  • NBC10 was there as the suspect finally surrendered around midnight.

Editor's Note: This story is no longer being updated. Click here for the latest on the investigation.

A man accused of shooting six Philadelphia police officers during a standoff that lasted more than seven hours surrendered to police. 

SWAT officers shot tear gas into a home on North 15th Street near West Butler Street shortly after midnight in the North Philadelphia neighborhood of Nicetown-Tioga.

The suspect, identified by police as 36-year-old Maurice Hill of Philadelphia, then walked out of the home and was taken into police custody. He was armed at the time, according to Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross.

Hill was taken to nearby Temple University Hospital for evaluation. He was released from the hospital and turned over to police Thursday morning.

He is likely to be charged with six counts of attempted murder and aggravated assault, according to his longtime attorney Shaka Johnson.

"There will be a lot of charges," District Attorney Larry Krasner said about what lies ahead for Hill. Krasner added that the charges, which likely will include attempted murder, should be enough to make sure Hill will "never exit jail."

Krasner said Hill is suspected of firing more than 100 rounds during the standoff.

Hill told Johnson via phone around 8:30 p.m. Wednesday that he "wanted to try to figure a way out," the lawyer told NBC Philadelphia.

"He said he wouldn't come out unless I was standing outside because he knows I wouldn't allow anything to happen to him," Johnson said. 

Hill has an "extensive" criminal history, according to court records. He also recently became a father again, his attorney said.

Philadelphia Police say Maurice Hill (inset) surrendered after a seven-hour standoff where six officers were shot. See Larger
Photo credit: Philadelphia Police Department

The arrest ended a dramatic, hourslong standoff during which six officers were injured by gunfire. A seventh officer was injured in a car accident while responding to the scene. A pedestrian was also injured during that incident.

Gunfire initially erupted around 4:30 p.m. Wednesday after narcotics officers served a warrant to a home near North 15th and West Butler streets, according to officials.

As officers rushed upstairs, a gunman waiting downstairs with an assault-style weapon fired several rounds through the ceiling. Police returned fire while several officers escaped through windows and doors.

A subsequent standoff between police and the suspected gunman lasted for more than seven hours before he was taken into custody. Negotiations were tense, according to the police commissioner, who took an active role in the response. He later called the move "unorthodox."

The suspected gunman "was hell-bent on doing whatever he was going to do," Ross said Thursday morning.

Listen to the Moment Shooting Broke Out in North PhiladelphiaListen to the Moment Shooting Broke Out in North Philadelphia

Newly released audio reveals the moment police officers were shot in Nicetown-Tioga in North Philadelphia Wednesday afternoon. 

(Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)

Krasner was also asked to take part in negotiations with the suspect at the behest of Hill's attorney, he said Thursday. He tried to calm the situation, but took no credit for helping bring a peaceful conclusion to the incident.

Krasner credited police with ending the standoff. He called it "brilliant policing and maybe a little bit of a miracle."

Two Philadelphia police officers and three civilians were trapped inside the row home with the suspected gunman before being safely evacuated by SWAT team members around 10 p.m. Wednesday. 

None of the officers suffered life-threatening injuries, Ross said, adding that a bullet grazed the head of one police officer.

"This could have been even more dangerous and volatile were it not for the professionalism of that SWAT unit," Ross said, adding that the team's rescue efforts were "amazing." 

Officers Who Were Shot During Standoff Released From HospitalOfficers Who Were Shot During Standoff Released From Hospital

Six Philadelphia police officers who were shot during a standoff in Nicetown-Tioga section have been released from the hospital. Officials are calling it a miracle that no officers were killed during the hours-long gun battle.

(Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019)

The standoff prompted a massive response to the largely residential North Philadelphia neighborhood, which is roughly 2 miles north of Temple University and about 4 miles north of Center City.

Video Shows Tense Start to Long Philly StandoffVideo Shows Tense Start to Long Philly Standoff

Surveillance video appears to show the moment that Philadelphia police officers entered a home on a North Philadelphia block where a narcotics warrant was being served. Gunfire then can be heard. Neighbor Eric Garrity captured the video on his Ring doorbell. He went outside to see what was going on and police officers told him to go back inside. A seven-hour standoff ensued.

(Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019)

Eric Garrity, who lives in a nearby home, captured on surveillance video what appeared to be officers entering a home, the sound of gunfire and one officer crawling out of the home. He went outside to see what was going on, but was told to get back inside and seek shelter, he said.

There were initially conflicting reports about others who may have been taken into police custody in the aftermath of the initial raid. Police initially said at least one person was taken into custody, but Ross later said that he couldn't say with certainty that anyone remained in custody.

Neighbors said they watched in terror as the violent scene unfolded on their block. 

"It was like a war - like a scene that you see in war," a resident told NBC10. "The guns, the fire, the noise - it was like bombs going off simultaneously at a time where people are having dinner."

Injured Police Officer Rescued From Gunfire in North PhiladelphiaInjured Police Officer Rescued From Gunfire in North Philadelphia

Early footage of the dangerous shooting situation in Nicetown-Tioga reveals the moments an injured police officer was pulled from gunfire.

(Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)

Frantic calls from responding officers were obtained by NBC10 via Broadcastify. Policed pleaded for back-up shortly after the shooting started Wednesday afternoon.

"Officer calls for everything you got. SWAT, long gun," a law enforcement officer can be heard saying on the audio. "I got an officer shot."

Disptach Captures Chaotic Moments of Shooting in Nicetown-TiogaDisptach Captures Chaotic Moments of Shooting in Nicetown-Tioga

Police disptach captured the chaotic moments of a shooting in Philadelphia's Nicetown-Tioga section that injured six police officers.

(Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)

Responding officers were seen crouching behind cars, blocking off surrounding streets and surrounding several nearby homes as the firefight unfolded. 

Nearby, stunned families and neighbors gathered behind police tape. Several churches and a day care are in the immediate area.

That day care, Precious Babies Learning Academy, serves children as young as 8 weeks old. It was placed on lockdown while some 80 children huddled inside, according to owner Yvonne Thomas-Curry.

"It was reported that all the children are safe, however we still are asking the parents to not come near the scene," she said. "It still is dangerous. Children will remain in shelter in place and safe inside with their teachers."

As Thomas-Curry spoke to NBC10, the children were escorted out of the day care by police. They were reunited with their families at a safe location.

80 Kids Evacuated From Day Care During Active Firefight in Nicetown-Tioga80 Kids Evacuated From Day Care During Active Firefight in Nicetown-Tioga

Around 80 children were evacuated from a nearby day care during the gun battle in Philadelphia's Nicetown-Tioga section. NBC10 spoke with the day care's owner.

(Published Thursday, Aug. 15, 2019)

The stunning "firefight," as police described it, gripped the region and garnered national attention.

Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf and President Donald Trump both said they were monitoring the situation.

"Tonight is another reminder of the selfless sacrifice of our law enforcement officers and first responders," Wolf said. "We are praying for a peaceful resolution and the full recovery of all those injured. We must remain committed to combating violence and getting dangerous weapons out of our communities."

Wolf also announced Wednesday night that he would postpone the signing of an executive order to reduce gun violence Thursday to a later date.

During a late Wednesday evening news conference,  an emotional Philadelphia Mayor Jim Kenney pleaded for gun control. 

"It's aggravating. It's saddening," he said. "If the state and federal government doesn't want to stand up to the NRA and some other folks, then let us police ourselves. But they preempt us on all kinds of gun control legislation."

Kenney also said that police officers deserve to be protected.

"They don't deserve to be shot at by a guy for four hours with an unlimited supply of weapons and an unlimited supply of bullets," he said. "It's disgusting and we've got to do something about it. And we need to do something about it quickly."

Former Vice President Joe Biden, a Scranton, Pennsylvania, native, tweeted his response to the shooting:

"Dr. Biden and I send our prayers to the police officers injured today in Philadelphia, and to their families who wake up every day knowing that their loved ones are walking into harm's way when they put on the badge. We're grateful for the selfless work they do to keep us safe."

District Attorney Larry Krasner and U.S. Attorney William McSwain were among several local leaders who arrived at the hospital shortly after injured officers were taken for medical treatment.

Neighbor Reacts to Dangerous North Philadelphia ShootingNeighbor Reacts to Dangerous North Philadelphia Shooting

A woman who lives near the scene of the dangerous shooting in Nicetown-Tioga in north Philadelphia describes the moments hundreds of shots were fired in her neighborhood.

(Published Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019)