Exhaust Pipes Being Replaced After 4 Die of Apparent CO Poisoning at Wilmington Apartment Complex - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Exhaust Pipes Being Replaced After 4 Die of Apparent CO Poisoning at Wilmington Apartment Complex

Apartment Complex Owners: Faulty Pipe Lead to CO Poisoning Deaths

The owners of a Wilmington apartment complex where four people were found dead from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning say the deadly gas leaked from a faulty boiler exhaust pipe. NBC10's George Spencer spoke to residents and the brother of one of the victims Saturday. (Published Saturday, March 26, 2016)

A faulty boiler exhaust pipe is being blamed for the apparent carbon monoxide poisoning deaths of four people and a dog at a Wilmington, Delaware apartment complex. Now, the complex's owners plan to replace the entire exhaust system.

Evergreen Apartment Group, the owners of the Hidden Valley Apartment Complex at 500 Homestead Road, posted a notice Saturday saying an investigation in conjunction with county authorities found the deadly gas leak came from exhaust piping in Building G.

Police found four residents — three in one apartment and one in another — dead inside their homes around 5 p.m. Friday night. Officers were called to the complex after family members abruptly stopped hearing from their loved ones the day before.

Carl "Timmy" Dunfee, Veronica Mousely, Andrew Spanakos and their dog were all found in the same apartment, family members tell NBC10. In the apartment above theirs, Nancy Uniacke was found dead.

Four People and Dog Found Dead in Apartment Building Filled With Carbon Monoxide

[PHI] Four People and Dog Found Dead in Apartment Building Filled With Carbon Monoxide
Wilmington Police are investigating the deaths of four people and a dog after they were found dead in their Hidden Valley apartment on Homestead Road. The apartment was filled with Carbon Monoxide. Seven other people, including three children, were taken the hospital but are reported to be in stable condition.
(Published Saturday, March 26, 2016)

"You look at Wilmington and you look at what might go down in Wilmington, or anywhere — and you don't think it's going to be an odorless gas. That's not the thing that you think it's gonna be," said Martin Uniacke, Nancy's youngest brother said.

The complex was evacuated and eight other residents were taken local hospitals for treatment. Only one person remained hospitalized Saturday.

Evergreen officials say the boiler and exhaust system is required to inspected by state officials every two years. It passed the last inspection, the owners said.

The owners have decided to replace the exhaust pipes in every building in the complex as a precaution, the letter said.

Since the replacement will require boilers to be shut down, residents will be forced to leave until the work is completed. A timeline for the work wasn't available. The decision didn't immediately assuage resident's fears, though.

"My biggest fear is that it would happen again and we won't make it out again," Jalil Dorsey said. "What if it happens again, and next time we don't make it out? Next time it might be us up there."

4 Killed in Apparent CO Poisoning

[PHI] 4 Killed in Apparent CO Poisoning
Carbon monoxide poisoning appears to be the cause of deaths for four people and a dog inside a Wilmington apartment complex. NBC10's George Spencer reports.
(Published Saturday, March 26, 2016)

While officials believe carbon monoxide poisoning is to blame, they're waiting for autopsies to positively confirm the cause of death.

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is produced by combustible engines in vehicles, gas generators and other heating elements. Poisoning symptoms are described as flu-like with dizziness, nausea and chest pain. People who are drunk or sleeping are especially susceptible to death from the gas.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says more than 4,000 people are hospitalized every year from CO poisoning. More than 400 people die. Here's some tips to avoid CO poisoning in your home.

  

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS