When she was just 5 months old, Akea Pearson’s mother was killed by her biological father, and, now, Pearson, a domestic violence counselor, is using her story to help bring awareness to domestic violence.
Pearson wrote a children’s book, Mommy Wake Up, that tells the story of domestic violence through the eyes of an 8-year-old girl.
The NBC10 Morning Team also toured "Nicole’s Place," a counseling center set up at the Laurel House for domestic violence victims. Nicole Peppelman died in a chainsaw attack by her husband in the Montgomery County home.
Family and friends raised money for this new counseling center in her name to bring domestic violence awareness into the open.
According to the Domestic Violence Center of Chester County, one in three women and one in seven men are victims of domestic violence.
"I can only say now, if you’re witnessing domestic violence, don’t be afraid to speak up and break the silence," Pearson said.
A Woman's Place
- Hotline: 1-800-220-8116 - Services: Safe Housing, Counseling, First Response, Legal Advocacy, Civil Legal Representation
Domestic Violence Center of Chester County
- Hotline: 888-711-6270 or 610-431-1430 - Services: Emergency Safe housing, Transitional Housing, Legal Counseling, Children’s ProgramsDelaware County
Domestic Abuse Project of Delaware County, Inc.
- Hotline: 610-565-4590 - Services: Counseling, Safe Housing, Legal ServicesLehigh County
Turning Point of Lehigh Valley
- Hotline: 1-877-438 - Services: Safe Housing, Empowerment Counseling, Support Groups, Court Advocacy, Education, Medical AdvocacyMontgomery County
Women’s Center of Montgomery County
- Hotline: 1-800-773-2424 - Services: Counseling, Information and Referral, Legal Advocacy, Court and Hospital Accompaniment, Emergency Relocation, EducationLaurel House - Montgomery County - Hotline: 1800-642-3150 - Services: Housing, Supportive Services, Education Philadelphia
Philadelphia Domestic Violence Hotline
- Hotline: 1-866-723-3014 - Services: Safety Plan Assistance, Safe housing, Legal Services, Behavioral Services, Custody Issues
- Hotline: 609-394-9000 - Services: Housing, Counseling, Children’s Services, Safe Housing
- Hotline: 732-249-4505 - Services: Housing, Counseling, Advocacy, Bilingual Hotline
Essex County Family Justice Center
- Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 - Services: Crisis Intervention, Enhanced Safety Planning, Law Enforcement Professional Assistance, Victim Witness Assistance, Counseling, Housing, Legal and Immigration Assistance, Medical and Behavioral Health Screenings
New Castle County
CHILD INC.’s Domestic Violence Program
- Hotline: 302-762-6110 - Services: Shelter, Counseling Support and Victim Advocacy
- Hotline: 800-773-8570 - Services: Specialized Case Management, Therapy, Support Groups, Education, Economic Empowerment Sussex County
The SAFE Program at People’s Place II - Sussex and Kent Counties
- Hotline: 302-745-9874 - Services: Shelter, Counseling, Support and Victim Advocacy
Abriendo Puertas Bilingual Hotline - Sussex County
- Hotline: 302-745-9874 - Services: Shelter, Counseling Support and Victim Advocacy
If you are in immediate danger, DIAL 911.