A Deadly Night in Philadelphia - NBC 10 Philadelphia

A Deadly Night in Philadelphia



    4 Shot, 3 Die Overnight

    A bloody night around the city left three men dead, another hurt and police trying to find the shooters. NBC10's Tracy Davidson breaks down the violent incidents. (Published Wednesday, July 10, 2013)

    A bloody night in Philadelphia left three dead and another injured in three shootings in three parts of the city.

    The deadly violence began around 9:45 p.m. when someone opened fire outside Oak Lane Express Pizza on the 7200 block of Ogontz Avenue in the city’s West Oak Lane neighborhood.

    Police found a 33-year-old man who lived nearby suffering from four gunshot wounds inside the doorway of his home. He died a short time later at Einstein Hospital.

    A few shots hit the pizza shop but no one inside was hit.

    It appeared that an argument preceded the shooting, according to police.

    Police then responded to a double shooting along the 5800 block of 5th Street in the Olney section -- that’s about 2-1/2 miles from the first deadly shooting -- just after 11:30 p.m.

    Two young men were found bleeding on the sidewalk next to the Lowell Elementary School playground.

    “Police transported both victims to Einstein Hospital,” said Chief Inspector Scott Small.

    A 20-year-old male who was shot in the chest died. He was later identified as Samuel Cave of the 400 block of Champlost Street.

    Another male, possibly in his late teens, was in critical condition after being shot four times.

    Small said police believe the victims were walking down the street together when they were shot. He said police would look over school surveillance to see if it recorded any part of the shooting.

    The violent night wasn’t over. Around 2 a.m., police officers responded to the 2500 block of Marston Street in North Philly.

    Police officers on the scene say they found a 32-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds to his neck, shoulder, chest and stomach shot on his front porch.

    The victim was rushed to Temple University Hospital where he died a about 90 minutes later.

    As of mid-morning no one was under arrest for any of the shootings.

    Despite these latest killings, homicides in the city are down 44 percent so far this year.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS