Cousin Charged in Cobbs Creek Murder - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Cousin Charged in Cobbs Creek Murder

Gregory Scott's cousin and a second man are both facing murder charges



    A family member is now being questioned in relation to the murder of Gregory Scott. Scott was gunned down outside of his Cobbs Creek home on Wednesday night. NBC10's Daralene Jones reports from Police Headquarters. (Published Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013)

    Philadelphia Police have charged a family member and another man in the murder of a Cobbs Creek father of five, who was shot and killed on his way home from work last night.

    Gregory Scott, 55, was shot and killed while getting out of his car out front of his home on the 200 block of Millick Street just before 11:30 p.m., according to police.

    Tonight, his cousin James Scott, 47, and James Hiller, 25, were both charged with his murder.

    "The two cousins have had bad blood between them that's gone back through the years," said Philadelphia Police Captain James Clark.

    Father of 5 Shot, Killed Outside Home

    [PHI] Father of 5 Shot, Killed Outside Cobbs Creek Home
    Gregory Scott was shot multiple times last night when he got out of his car out front of his home after a long night at work, police said.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 28, 2013)

    "He didn't deserve this. He didn't deserve it," neighbor Nigel Porter told NBC10.

    Scott's wife said she heard her husband's loud muffler as he drove down the street on his way home from work at the Family Variety Thrift Store. What she heard next was gunshots. She told police that she looked out the window and saw her husband laying in the street.

    Investigators say she immediately called 911 and that the couple's daughter, a medic, heard the call and rushed home to find her father dead -- shot multiple times in the head and chest.

    Captain Clark says before the shooting, the cousins had gotten into a physical altercation and that James Scott came to Gregory Scott's house with a gun to wait for him to get home.

    Scott's sister told NBC10 that her brother was a devoted father and that he was devoted to the children in his community. She says he was the long-time drill instructor for the Goldcoast Buccaneers Drill Team.

    Records show that Gregory Scott served time in prison for drug possession, simple assault and theft, but friends say he turned his life around when he was released 16 years ago.

    "There's ever a reason for a person too take someone's life in a violent way," said Russell Shoatz, friend.