Cab Driver Beaten, Robbed, Locked in Trunk: Cops - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Cab Driver Beaten, Robbed, Locked in Trunk: Cops

Investigators say it happened last Thursday around 11:15 p.m. in Southwest Philadelphia.



    A cab driver tells Philadelphia Police two men beat him, robbed him, then stuffed him into the trunk of his taxi. He picked up the men at 69th Street Terminal in Upper Darby, PA, and drove them to Island Avenue and Lindbergh Boulevard. That's when he was attacked, according to police. (Published Monday, Feb. 18, 2013)

    A cab driver continues to recover after police say he was beaten, robbed and locked inside the trunk of his own cab.

    Investigators say it happened last Thursday around 11:15 p.m. in Southwest Philadelphia. A 53-year-old cab driver was parked at the 69th Street Terminal waiting for fares when he was allegedly approached by two men who asked to be taken to Island and Lindbergh Boulevard.

    When the cab driver arrived on Lindbergh, police say the suspects told him to pull over two blocks away from Island. Once the driver pulled over, one suspect allegedly took a belt and wrapped it around his neck, choking him. The second suspect then allegedly went through his pockets and stole a wallet with $100, credit cards, debit cards and ID inside while threatening to shoot and kill him.

    Credit: Philadelphia Police

    Cab Driver Robbed, Stuffed in Trunk: Cops

    [PHI] Cab Driver Robbed, Stuffed in Trunk: Cops
    A Quaker City cab driver picked up two men from the 69th Street Terminal on Thursday night who allegedly strangled and stuffed him in the trunk until he gave up his wallet and ATM card passwords, according to police. NBC10's Lu Ann Cahn gets other cab drivers' reactions and reports the details.
    (Published Monday, Feb. 18, 2013)

    The men then forced the cab driver into the trunk of his own cab and began to beat him until he gave them the security codes to his ATM cards, according to investigators. The suspects then allegedly locked him inside the trunk and drove around in his cab for about 20 minutes.

    Police say the suspects finally stopped and told the cab driver to count to 100 before getting out of the trunk. After the full count, the cab driver got out and called dispatch for help, according to investigators. Police say the cab driver then drove to his base on the 6700 block of Upland Street and called police.

    Credit: Philadelphia Police

    Police arrived at the base shortly before 1 a.m. on Friday and say the victim had severe facial injuries. He was treated at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. He is currently in fair condition. The cab company's owner is currently raising funds to help pay for the victim's medical expenses.

    Both suspects were captured on surveillance video walking through the 69th Street Terminal minutes before the robbery. If you have any information on their identities, please call Philadelphia Police.