Students Consoled After Boys Alleged "Bullying" Death - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Bailey O'Neill's family says he was bullied and beaten

Students Consoled After Boys Alleged "Bullying" Death

Bailey O'Neill turned 12 on Saturday, a day before his death



    Students Consoled After Boys Alleged "Bullying" Death
    Family Photo
    March 4, 2013: Baily O'Neill, who turned 12 on Saturday, was in a coma after suffering several seizures. He died Sunday.

    Counselors are at the school today where 12-year-old Bailey O'Neill was allegedly bullied before he died.

    Flags at Darby Township School are at half-staff in his memory.

    O'Neill died at the hospital Sunday morning after being taken off life support. O'Neill, who turned 12 the day before he died, had been in a medically-induced coma after suffering several seizures.

    Bullied Boy's Family Seeks Justice

    [PHI] Bullied Boy's Family Seeks Justice
    The grandmother of 11-year-old Bailey O'Neill claims her grandson was beaten up by classmates at Darby Township School in January. He suffered a broken nose and began having seizures after the alleged incident. In order to control them, doctors put O'Neill in a medically-induced coma. No criminal charges have been brought against O'Neill's peers, but the family wants his classmates to be punished. NBC10's Lori Wilson reports on the investigation.
    (Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2013)

    Those seizures started nearly two weeks after O'Neill was jumped by two classmates during recess, according to O'Neill's family. He suffered a concussion as well as a broken nose in the fight. After the seizures began, doctors put the boy in a medically-induced coma.

    Joy Fecanin, the boy's grandmother, told NBC10's Katy Zachry that O'Neill had to have a blood transfusion after getting pneumonia.

    On Sunday, the following message was posted on the Building Hope for Bailey Facebook Page:

    I would like to thank everyone who has prayed and supported Bailey and his family!! Bailey has been the strongest toughest boy I know. He has fought this battle long and hard. There just wasn't a way to fix this. I wish I could say he will get better but I can't. Bailey has gone to be with God today :( I love you Jina Risoldi with all my heart and I will help you through this. Bailey I love you!!! Please keep Baileys family in your prayers!!!

    While the students who jumped Bailey were suspended for two days, investigators have not revealed whether they will be criminally charged.

    “I would like to see these kids punished,” said Fecanin when she spoke to Zachry last month. “Something has to be done. I don’t know what’s taking them so long.”

    Southeast Delco School District Superintendent Stephen D. Butz says the school sends its condolences to the boy's friends and family. He said additional counselors are being made available for both students and staff.

    Delaware County District Attorney Jack Whelan says investigators are trying to determine if the injuries Bailey received in the fight caused his seizures. Investigators interviewed students and recess aides who were on the playground when the fight broke out.

    “We can assure them that we are going to continue with our investigation,” said Whelan.

    Bailey’s younger brother was taken out of the school because his parents were worried that he'd also be the victim of bullying. 

    More Local Stories: