Armed Carjacker Targets Golden Nugget Casino Customers: Police - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Armed Carjacker Targets Golden Nugget Casino Customers: Police



    Armed Carjacker Targets Golden Nugget Casino Customers: Police
    NBC10 Philadelphia
    Golden Nugget Hotel Casino

    A man is in custody after he allegedly carjacked customers outside an Atlantic City casino and then burned one of the vehicles.

    On Sunday around 7:15 a.m., Atlantic City Police received a call from security at the Golden Nugget Hotel/Casino reporting that a vehicle was taken from their customers at gunpoint. When police arrived at the scene they were met by the victims who claimed a gunman approached them and stole their Silver Pontiac Grand Am.

    That same morning, around 11:45 a.m., police received another call from Golden Nugget security reporting the armed carjacker stole another vehicle on the 5th floor of the self-parking garage at the casino. The victims told responding officers that the armed suspect approached them and stole their White Silverado pickup truck.

    Atlantic City Police Detectives say they later spotted the Grand Am on the 700 block of North Maryland Avenue. Police say the interior of the vehicle had been set on fire.

    Moments later, the detectives found the suspect in both carjackings, identified as 39-year-old Rahim Adams of Newark, New Jersey. Police say Adams was walking on Maryland Ave and carrying two Golden Nugget bags. They also say he was in possession of a handgun.

    When Adams spotted the detectives he allegedly dropped his bags and began to run but the officers caught up to him and placed him in custody. The officers recovered Adams’ handgun which had one round in the chamber, according to investigators. Police also say five rounds were found on the ground where the gun’s magazine had fallen.

    Police also located the Silverado pickup truck on North Maryland Avenue.

    Adams was arrested and charged with carjacking, armed robbery and possession of a weapon for unlawful purpose. He was remanded to the Atlantic County Justice Facility on $250,000 bail.