Delaware

4 Found Dead in Tent at Homeless Camp in Del.

Four people were found dead at a homeless camp in Delaware on Tuesday, possibly from carbon monoxide poisoning linked to a heater discovered inside their tent, according to a family member and authorities

Four people were found dead at a homeless camp in Delaware on Tuesday, possibly from carbon monoxide poisoning linked to a heater discovered inside their tent, according to a family member and authorities.

An autopsy will determine the four adults' causes of death, but no foul play was suspected, Delaware State Police confirmed in a statementTuesday.

Bruce Messick, who identified himself to the Delaware News Journal as a family member of two of the victims, said he went to check on his brother and nephew that afternoon in the woods off of Route 7 in Stanton, when he found the group dead inside a tent equipped with a propane heater.

U.S. & World

Stories that affect your life across the U.S. and around the world.

Israeli Strike on Gaza Kills 10, Unrest Spreads to West Bank

Let's Face It: Washington Adjusts to New Mask Guidance

Messick said his family members had been homeless for years and he often brought food and money to the them. The almost-full propane tank being used by the four victims to keep warm had recently been dropped off, he added, and temperatures below freezing had been recorded throughout the week.

The victims' names were not immediately released and State Police were continuing to investigate.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us