Three people have been taken to hospitals after fire broke out in one apartment at a high-rise for senior and disabled residents in western Pennsylvania.
Authorities in Brackenridge haven't released the names of the victims, but say two were taken to a nearby hospital for possible smoke inhalation while the third — a man in the unit that caught fire — was being treated at the burn unit at UPMC Mercy hospital in Pittsburgh.
A neighbor tells reporters that man smokes even though he uses oxygen. She says she broke down his door about 4:30 a.m. Friday after she heard him calling for help in his third-floor unit in the Brackenridge Hall Apartments.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
The building is run by the Allegheny County Housing Authority and, according to its website, has 63 units on seven floors.