Fire investigators said a fire in a Gumboro poultry house killed 21,000 6-week-old chickens.
The Delaware State Fire Marshal's office said the fire broke out Wednesday evening in the poultry house on Jones Church Road.
Assistant State Fire Marshal Michael Chionchio said investigators determined that the blaze in the 500-foot-long building was accidental. He said the fire started with an electrical malfunction at an outlet at one end of the building and spread, killing 21,000 chickens and destroying the building.
Breaking news and the stories that matter to your neighborhood.
Damage is estimated at $400,000, said Chionchio.