April 15 is the most popular day of the year for procrastinators. And if you are one of the millions of people who waited until the last minute to file your taxes you also know it can be the most stressful day of the year.
Deadlines are made to help you meet a goal. They also help us remember that sometimes we have to work to get a reward and what you put in is what you get out. The April 15 tax deadline can also be your lifeline and help you begin to meet other goals in your life that lead to reward.
So here are 5 tips to turn your tax deadline into your brand lifeline.
1. Start Early, Spend Wisely -- Plan how you will spend the day, how you will spend your refund, and make sure to spend the time after you file celebrating your accomplishment.
2. Details Determine Destiny – Take time to focus on the details of completing your return. A sharp mental state will translate into a sharper outlook on your financial well-being.
3. Find Your Break – Find some time to take a break from thinking about taxes and use April 15th to think about other areas of your life. Write down the goals that you have not accomplished because you have not given yourself a deadline. Use April 15th as your reminder to get “it” done.
4. Tax Your Brand -- If you procrastinated and find yourself down to the wire, think about what you want to be known for going forward. Procrastinators typically wait until the last minute to do just about everything. Tax your brand and begin tomorrow to redefine what others can expect from you.
5. Theme Song – It’s always easier to complete a task when you have an extra boost of motivation. Whether you are filling out your return, helping someone else prepare their return, or waiting in line to get your return stamped, have a theme song that travels with you all day. It will help you take the tax out of tax day. My song on tax day is “Signed, Sealed, Delivered…I’m Yours” by Stevie Wonder.
Kaplan Mobray wrote "The 10Ks of Personal Branding." He is an Author, Motivational Speaker, Career and Life Coach.