What to Know
- Food & Wine has put out its list of the Top 10 pizza states and the Delaware Valley is well represented.
- New Jersey topped the pizza list thanks to old and new offerings from the Jersey Shore to Jersey City.
- Pennsylvania was ranked seventh thanks in large part to Philadelphia's wide-range of pizza options.
Where can you find the best pizza in America? New Jersey.
That's according to Food & Wine magazine's list of "The Best Pizza in Every State."
New Jersey topped Food & Wine's list thanks to what author David Landsel called new and old pizza places making their marks.
Get Philly local news, weather forecasts, sports and entertainment stories to your inbox. Sign up for NBC Philadelphia newsletters.
"Besides having the best new pizza in America, New Jersey also has some of the best, oldest pizza in America, down in Trenton, where they don't call it pizza at all, but rather tomato pie," he wrote while mentioning Papa's and DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies, which are in nearby Robbinsville.
Others mentioned in Food & Wine's rave of pizza in the state that is, "quite literally, on the way to everywhere else," include boardwalk icons and Jersey City's finest:
- Bread & Salt in Jersey City
- Razza in Jersey City
- Patsy's in Paterson
- Kinchley's Tavern in Ramsey
- Rosie's in Point Pleasant
- Manco & Manco in Ocean City
- Santillo's Brick Oven Pizza in Elizabeth
- Una Pizza Napoletana in Atlantic Highlands
New Jersey's official Twitter account called the No. 1 ranking "TRUE."
The Delaware Valley was well represented in the Top 10 with Pennsylvania coming in at seventh. Landsel put a spotlight on the offerings in Philadelphia.
"Philadelphia is one of those intensely lucky cities that not only has an overwhelming amount of pizza, but is also, stylistically, all over the map," he wrote. "Whatever your mood, somebody is doing it, and chances are they are doing it incredibly well."
Tacconelli's in Port Richmond, La Rosa Pizzeria in South Philly, Pizzeria Beddia in Kensington and Pizza Shackamaxon in Fishtown got special mentions.
Other top pizza pies in Pennsylvania include:
- Conshohocken Bakery in Conshohocken
- Corropolese Bakery & Deli in Norristown
- Arcaro & Genell in Old Forge
- Best Way Pizza in western Pennsylvania
- Old Franco's Pizzeria in Johnstown
- Il Pizzaiolo in Mount Lebanon
- Beto's Pizza in Pittsburgh
Delaware didn't land in the Top 10, but did receive mention for Grotto Pizza and Nicola Pizza.
Landsel noted he understands, "how subjective pizza can be." So where do you think the best pizza is found?