Suspect Shot to End Center City Standoff - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Suspect Shot to End Center City Standoff

Standoff near City Hall ends after police shoot armed man several times after he allegedly shot at officers



    Identity of Standoff Suspect Released

    Police say Amir Bey, of South Philadelphia, started shooting at passing cars outside City Hall just around 6:30 a.m. Friday morning. Police say after a long standoff, Bey started shooting at officers. Police returned fire and shot him. Bey is currently at the hospital. NBC10's Terry Ruggles reports that police are looking into a possible motive. (Published Friday, July 6, 2012)

    A man reportedly fired shots randomly -- even at police -- in Center City Friday morning leading to a standoff near City Hall that ended with the suspect shot.

    Police say Amir Bey, 22, of South Philadelphia was armed with a handgun when he stood in front of the Masonic Temple at Broad Street and JFK around 6:30 a.m.

    "On my way into work this morning -- about 6:30 -- I could hear on the citywide ban that there was an incident unfolding here in Center City," Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey told reporters after the incident.

    "We had him contained on Broad Street between Arch and JFK."

    Police Shoot Man During Center City Standoff

    [PHI] Police Shoot Man During Center City Standoff
    A man was in critical condition at Hahnemann University Hospital Friday after police returned fire during a standoff in front of City Hall. NBC10's Byron Scott is live in Center City with the latest.
    (Published Friday, July 6, 2012)

    Officers evacuated the area as SWAT moved in. Roads around the area remained closed as the standoff continued at 6:55 a.m. as Chopper 10 hovered overhead.

    Right around 7 a.m., Bey appeared to be hit.

    "As SWAT was arriving -- literally pulling up to the scene -- the offender took a shot at police," Ramsey said. "Police responded and returned fire. And he's down."

    Gunfire Erupts Near City Hall

    [PHI] Gunfire Erupts Near City Hall
    Police say officers returned fire after a man in his 20s shot at them during a standoff across the street from City Hall. NBC10's Tim Furlong spoke with a witness who saw the whole standoff transpire.
    (Published Friday, July 6, 2012)

    A short time later the man was loaded onto an ambulance surrounded by about two dozen officers.

    Bey is at Hahnemann Hospital in critical condition.

    It wasn't unclear what the man was shooting at to start the incident and Ramsey also said he didn't know how many times the man shot at police.

    Commissioner Ramsey on Center City Standoff

    [PHI] Commissioner Ramsey on Center City Standoff
    Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey describes standoff near City Hall that ended with police shooting an armed man after he allegedly shot at officers.
    (Published Friday, July 6, 2012)

    Broad Street from Race to JFK remained closed for nearly seven hours as police investigated the incident.

    At 8:15 a.m. SEPTA reported that bus routes around the City Hall -- routes 4, 16, 17, 27, 32, 124 and 125 -- were being detoured.

    NBC10 cameras captured investigators marking dozen of pieces of evidence on the road and sidewalk. An SUV possibly belonging to the alleged gunman as well as a window of the Masonic Temple was shot out.

    This was the second police-involved incident in less than 36 hours in Center City. Police shot a teen gunman during July 4th activities on the nearby Ben Franklin Parkway.

    Fan, follow and download: Get the latest from anytime, anywhere. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, our mobile site and NBC Philadelphia. Sign up for our breaking news newsletter. And, get breaking news delivered right to your mobile phone -- just text PHIBREAKING to 639710 to sign up. (Message and data rates may apply.)