Man Shoots Into the Air, Barricades Self in Home: Police - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Man Shoots Into the Air, Barricades Self in Home: Police



    Man in Custody After Police Standoff

    An early morning standoff in West Kensington ends peacefully and the gunman is now being questioned. (Published Wednesday, June 11, 2014)

    Philadelphia police officers, SWAT and firefighters responded to the city’s West Kensington section Wednesday morning for a standoff that lasted for hours.

    The response teams could be seen blocking off streets in the area of Mascher and Huntingdon Streets throughout the early morning.

    Investigators said a 20-year-old man barricaded himself inside a home on Mascher with two guns on him after an argument with a neighbor shortly before 3 a.m.

    Police said that the incident began as an argument between the man and a 28-year-old man outside the home. During the argument the older man said the younger man pistol-whipped him and shot into the air. The 28-year-old suffered cuts and bruises and was treated at the scene.

    Police said the man then went into the home.

    "We surrounded the house front and back, due to the fact that we believe the suspect had a gun," said Philadelphia Chief Inspector Scott Small.

    Small said the man, who was inside with several family members didn't respond to knocks at the door, police shouting at him nor phone calls.

    After about 30 minutes a woman in her 20s -- believed to be the suspect's cousin -- and her young children left the house.

    The family member told police that the armed suspect's 73-year-old grandfather  was still asleep inside, according to police..

    Police said they sent a robot inside the home and that eventually caused the alleged gunman to surrender peacefully.

    The grandfather and suspect both appeared uninjured, according to police.

    "No one was injured, it was the desired outcome," said Small.

    Police expected to charge the suspect with aggravated assault and weapons charges.