Police Shoot Suspect, Search for Another - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Police Shoot Suspect, Search for Another



    A suspect fled after a police-involved shooting early Wednesday that left a man shot in the face. Hours later the manhunt continued for a second suspect. NBC10' Jesse Gary reports from the ground and Christine Maddela from above inside SkyForce10. (Published Wednesday, June 19, 2013)

    Roads were closed early this morning as police searched for a suspect after shooting another man in a gunfight.

    Around 12:45 a.m., a Carneys Point Township Police officer on patrol spotted a reportedly stolen Honda Accord along Hollywood Avenue near South Pennsville Auburn Road in Carneys Point, Salem County, N.J., according to Carneys Point Police.

    The Carneys Officer along with backup from a Penns Grove officer found the stolen car in a wooded area off of South Pennsville Auburn Road.

    As the officers approached, the alleged car thieves opened fire, according to police. The officers returned fire striking one man in the arms before he and the other man fled into the woods.

    Manhunt in South Jersey

    [PHI] Manhunt in South Jersey
    Police from around the area joined Carneys Township Police Wednesday morning as they searched for a man after he escaped during a traffic stop. During the same stop, officers shot another suspect. NBC10's Jesse Gary reports.
    (Published Wednesday, June 19, 2013)

    Neither officer was injured.

    About 30 minutes after the shooting the one suspect emerged from the woods with arm injuries and a head wound possibly caused while in the woods. He was taken to Cooper University Hospital -- his condition wasn't released.

    After more than nine hours, police continued to block off around a one-mile stretch of South Pennsville Auburn Road, which runs parallel to Interstate 295, near the shooting scene as they searched for the second suspect.

    I-295 remained open but the stretch of South Pennsville Auburn Road and a stretch of Georgetown Road remained closed.

    Police tell NBC10's Jesse Gary that they know who the suspect is but they didn't release his name.

    Carneys Point is right across the Delaware River from Wilmington, Del.

    Search dogs, state police and other area police were brought in to assist in the search, which included combing large wooded areas.

    No shelter in place was ordered.


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS