Judge Refuses Release of Stallworth Crash Video - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Judge Refuses Release of Stallworth Crash Video

Miami judge wants to protect privacy of victim's family

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Judge Refuses Release of Stallworth Crash Video
    AP
    A Miami judge has decided against releasing the surveillance video of NFL star Donte Stallworth's fatal DUI crash.

    A Miami judge has refused to release the surveillance video of the fatal drunk-driving incident involving NFL star Donte Stallworth.

    Circuit Judge Dennis Murphy ruled earlier today that releasing the video would violate the privacy of the family of man Stallworth struck and killed while driving his Bentley drunk on the MacArthur Causeway in the early hours of March 14. 

    "This is akin to autopsy photographs," Murphy said at today's hearing, adding that the video will stay sealed "for the foreseeable future as far as I'm concerned."

    The family of Mario Reyes asked that the video not be released. Video and photos of the scene and the 911 call placed by Stallworth immediately after the accident have been released.

    Donte Stallworth 911 Call

    [MI] Donte Stallworth 911 Call
    Donte Stallworth calls 911 after hitting a man with his car on the MacArthur Causeway in Miami. WARNING: contains foul language.
    (Published Tuesday, June 30, 2009)

    Prosecutors said the video, recorded by a FPL camera, shows Reyes running across MacArthur Causeway as he's hit by Stallworth's car, sending him flying into the air.

    Stallworth is serving a month in jail after reaching a deal with Miami prosecutors earlier this month after the Cleveland Browns wide receiver was charged with DUI manslaughter.

    Stallworth struck and killed 59-year-old Reyes with his car after a night of clubbing in Miami Beach around seven in the morning. The 28-year-old had a blood alcohol level of .126 when the accident occurred, well over the legal limit of .08. He also reportedly had traces of marijuana in his system. Reyes, a construction worker, was on his way home after working overnight.

    In addition to the 30 days in jail, Stallworth will have to perform 1,000 hours of community service, will be on probation for 10 years, and will never be able to drive again.

    Police said Stallworth cooperated throughout the investigation and the football star has continued to offer his condolences to the Reyes family, who he reached a confidential settlement with to avoid a civil trial.

    Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL.