Temple Football Player Charged With Kidnapping, Assaulting Woman: Cops - NBC 10 Philadelphia

Temple Football Player Charged With Kidnapping, Assaulting Woman: Cops



    Football Player's Girlfriend Speaks About Alleged Attack

    A 21-year-old woman claiming to be the girlfriend of Temple football player Kamal Johnson talked exclusively to NBC10's Cydney Long about her alleged kidnapping and attack. (Published Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012)

    A Temple University football player has been charged with kidnapping and assaulting a 21-year-old woman, according to Philadelphia Police. Authorities say the two were dating.

    Kamal Johnson, 20, is charged with Kidnapping, Unlawful Restraint, Simple Assault, False Imprisonment, and Reckless Endangerment of Another Person. Johnson turned himself into police overnight.

    The alleged incident happened on September 27 but police say the victim did not report it to authorities until Thursday.

    According to police, Johnson pushed his way into the woman's off-campus apartment at Edge Student Village on the 1600 block of North 15th Street in North Philadelphia.

    Temple Football Player Charged With Assault

    [PHI] Temple Football Player Charged With Assaulting Woman
    Police arrested a Temple University football player with kidnapping and assaulting a woman he was dating. NBC10's Monique Braxton reports.
    (Published Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012)

    Police say Johnson knocked on her door and when the woman answered, he forced his way inside. Johnson allegedly pulled the woman out of her apartment, demanded to see her phone, and pushed her down two flights of stairs to his apartment.

    In an exclusive interview with NBC10’s Cydney Long, the 21-year-old woman, who says she was in a three-year relationship with Johnson, detailed moments from the alleged attack.

    “He got me to his room threw me onto the chair, he choked me, punched my head, punched me on my thigh leaving a mark on back of my neck and marks on my arm from him dragging me.”

    The political science major says she was too afraid to go to the hospital but thinks she suffered a mild concussion during the attack.

    “My head was hurting so bad. I wiped my neck, I was bleeding.”

    The woman says she asked to leave and Johnson refused. Police say Johnson then held the woman against her will for 3 ½ hours. Johnson accused the woman of cheating on him, according to investigators.

    The woman plans to hire an attorney but says she fears for her life.

    “I have not slept since Thursday, since I reported it. I’m so scared,” she said. “Temple police is telling me not to say anything. My voice needs to be heard, I can't hide anymore.”

    The woman told police that Johnson abused her in the past.

    Johnson is a junior defensive end with the Owls. He is from Willingboro, New Jersey, according to the Temple Owls' website.

    He is currently being held on $25,000 bail.

    So far, Temple University officials have made no comment about the alleged incident.

    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS