Simple Shrimp and Grits
- 4 servings
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup grits (not quick cooking)
- 2 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 lb shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs chopped or 1 small green pepper diced
- 1-14 ounce can diced tomatoes un-drained (preferably no salt)
- 1 lemon quartered
- In a bowl combine shrimp, chili powder and oregano. Set mixture aside.
- In a sauce pan, bring broth, water and milk to a boil. Whisk in grits and cook over medium low heat for 10 - 15 minutes until cooked through.
- In a large skillet, add 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Saute until just turning soft. Add diced tomatoes. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook uncovered for 10 minutes until mixture is thickened.
- Add shrimp mixture to the pan. Saute until shrimp are cooked through (approximately 2 - 5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate grits. Top with tomato-shrimp mixture and serve with a squirt of lemon.