Portuguese Wedding Stew
Recipe provided by: Chef Christina Dimacali
Serves 4 - 6
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
2 large garlic cloves crushed
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
¼ teaspoon Hungarian paprika
4 - 6 ounces chicken chorizo or andouille sausage crumbled
2 cups ½” cubed white sweet potatoes
3 cups low sodium chicken broth
½ - 15 oz can cannellini beans
5 ounces collard greens or kale, leaves and stems separated and chopped fine
1 Tablespoon red wine vinegar
1. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium high heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook until translucent, stirring often (approximately 5 minutes). Add pepper and paprika. Saute an additional minute.
2. Add sausage and cook until lightly browned.
3. Add the potatoes and stir often for 5 minutes.
4. Add broth and bring mixture to a boil, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover and simmer until potatoes are fork tender (approximately 5 minutes).
5. Mash half of the beans and whisk into the soup. Add the remaining white beans and hard stalks of greens. Cook 8 minutes until stalks are tender.
6. Add greens and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Once greens are wilted serve.