Recipe provided by Anupy Singla
* 2 tablespoons Vegetable or Canola Oil, plus another 2 for frying
* 8 large yellow or red onions, peeled and thinly sliced
* 6 tablespoons (89ml) white wine vinegar
* 1 (8 inch [20 cm]) piece ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
* 20 cloves garlic, peeled
* 6-10 green and red Thai,serrano, or cayenne chilies, stems removed
* 1 tablespoons (15 ml) turmeric powder
* 1 tablespoons (15 ml) ground coriander
* 1 tablespoons (15 ml) garam masala
* 1 teaspoons (5 ml) ground cinnamon
* 1 tablespoons (15 ml) black peppercorns
* 1 heating tablespoon (20 ml) rock salt
* 1 tablespoons (15 ml)black mustard seeds
* 4 pounds (2 kg) boneless, skinless chicken breastsand/ or thighs, cut in 1 inch (2.5 cm) pieces
* 1/2 cup (125 ml) water
1. Warm the oil in a shallow frying pan over medium high heat and fry the onions
2. until brown and almost caramelized, about 4 minutes be careful not to burn. Add the vinegar and cook, stirring, until the liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes longer. Remove the onions from the oil and puree in a food processor along with 2 tablespoon of fresh oil. Set aside.
3. In a food processor, puree the ginger, garlic,green chilies,tumeric, coriander, garam masala, and,cinnamon. Set aside.
4. In a mortar and pestle, grind peppercorns, salt, and mustard seeds together into a powder.
5. Put the chicken, onion puree, ginger puree, peppercorn mixture in slow cooker. Add water and cook on low 6 hours. Serve with fresh roti or naan or basmati, or brown rice.
6. To make 3 1/2-quart slow cooker, halve all the ingredients and proceed with the recipe. A half recipe makes 6 cups (1.42l.)
* 3 cups white basmati rice
* 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil
* 1 medium yellow or red onion, thinly sliced
* 1 teaspoon cumin seed
* 1 cinnamon stick
* 2 cloves
* 1 pod black cardamom
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 6 cups water
1. Heat a deep, heavy pot on a medium-high heat. Add oil and heat for about 2 minutes.
2. Add cumin, allow to heat until it sizzles, about 2 minutes. Add cinnamon stick, cloves, and cardamom.
3. Add onion, allow to brown about 2 minutes.
4. Add rice. Mix well and cook for a few minutes, constantly stirring.
5. Add salt and water and bring to a boil.
6. Turn stove to low and put a lid on, allowing a small opening for the steam to escape.
7. Cook for about 20 minutes until the water evaporates and the rice is soft and fragrant.
Indian Street Salad
* 1 red onion, chopped or sliced thinly
* 1 tomato, chopped or sliced thinly
* 1 cucumber, chopped or sliced thinly
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon black salt
* 1 lime or lemon juiced
* 1 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
1. Mix everything well and serve.