With all the wet weather we’ve been having, mushrooms have been popping up everywhere. Apparently, it’s also sprouted an interest in collecting and eating wild mushrooms.
DON’T DO THIS UNLESS YOU ARE WITH AN EXPERT AND KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU’RE DOING.
Last month, two New Jersey men nearly died from eating mushrooms.
However, there are several mushroom clubs in our area that study and teach everything you want to know about fungi. The New Jersey Micological Association has around 400 members and has been around for 40 years. I contacted them when viewer Robin Tillman wanted to go on her first mushroom hunt and she asked me to help.
You’ll see in the story most of the mushrooms we found in the Pine Barrens are very poisonous and dangerous. Only one was considered safe to eat.
Lu Ann Cahn