Courtesy of Chef Aaron McCargo Jr.
Updated 2:16 PM EDT, Fri, Jun 15, 2012
Inside Out Burger
· 6 slices bacon, cut into bite size pieces
· 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
· 2 pounds ground chuck
· 1 large shallot, diced
· 1 teaspoon black pepper
· 1 teaspoon coarse salt
· 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
· 4 ounces Swiss cheese, cubed
· 4 sesame seed buns
· 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F
Place the bacon in a large sauté pan and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat in the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes. Set the mushrooms aside to cool in a bowl.
In a large bowl, combine the beef, shallot, black pepper, salt, and Worcestershire. Separate the mixture into 4 equal portions. Divide each portion into 2 separate patties.
Combine the cheese into the cooled mushrooms and bacon mixture. Take 1 patty and top with 2-ounces of the filling. Place another patty on top and pinch around the edges to make sure that the filling is totally covered. Make the rest of the patties the same way.
Over medium-high heat, heat a large skillet with grapeseed oil. Once hot, add the burgers and cook for 2 minutes per side. Place the pan into the oven and cook for 4 to 6 more minutes for medium burgers.
Remove from the oven and serve on a sesame seed bun.
Kicked Up Coleslaw
· 1 (16-ounce) package shredded cole slaw mix
· 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
· 2 green onion, thinly sliced
· 1 red jalapenos, seeded and thinly sliced
· 3/4 cup mayonnaise
· 2 tablespoons sour cream
· 2 tablespoons white vinegar
· 2 tablespoons sugar
· Several dashes hot sauce
· 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
· Pinch cayenne pepper
· 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
· Pinch kosher salt
In a large bowl, mix together all the slaw ingredients. Allow to sit in refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving. Serve alone or on top of sandwiches.
First Published: Jun 15, 2012 1:16 PM EDT