Ginger Butternut Squash Soup
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- · 2 tablespoons olive oil
- · 4 cloves garlic, whole with peel on
- · 2 tablespoons grated ginger
- · 2 pablano chiles, seeded and chopped
- · 4 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into 2-in. cubes
- · 3 cups vegetable broth + 3 cups water
- · Salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 450. Wrap whole cloves of garlic in a foil pouch and drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil. Roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
Over an open flame, char peppers on all sides then place in a bowl. Cover to steam for 10 minutes, Remove skin, stem and seeds and set aside.
Heat olive oil in a 4- to 5-qt. pot over high heat. Add squash, roasted garlic, peppers, and ginger. Cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth, and 3 cups water. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until squash is tender, about 20 minutes.
With an emersion blender, puree soup. Season with salt and pepper. Serve
Katie Cavuto Boyle MS, RD