A Florida man was arrested after he illegally kept an alligator in his outdoor hot tub and fed it chicken for over a year, authorities said.
Tony Wells Jr., 32, said the alligator had already been in his Vero Beach house when he moved in, the Indian River County Sheriff's Office said.
After moving into the home, Wells said he “was just feeding the alligator,” his arrest report said.
When deputies asked what he was feeding the alligator, Wells said “chicken, just chicken,” according to authorities.
Deputies served a drug related search warrant on Oct. 15 and a woman was arrested during the search, the sheriff’s office said.
But Wells was arrested after deputies found that he did not have a license from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission to keep the alligator, the arrest report said.
More Stories on NBC6.com:
- Sprinkled Ashes Led to Florida Mall Evacuation: Authorities
- PHOTOS: The Craziest Food Heists
- Man Sets Himself on Fire While Decorating for Halloween
- PHOTOS: World's Costliest Heists
- Thief Makes Off With Trailer, $50K in Energy Drinks
- PHOTOS: Unbelievable Animal Stories