A new report revealed 12 of the most bizarre late-to-work excuses, and the list contains a bear, a lizard and a lot of Vaseline.
CareerBuilder surveyed nearly 2,600 hiring and human resources managers and more than 3,200 employees between November and December of 2015, according to the job site.
For employees who walk into work late every once in a while, good news. One third of employers said they have no problem with workers who are late occasionally, according to CareerBuilder. However, four out of 10 employers have fired an employee for being late.
Overall, some of the most common late-to-work excuses included: traffic at 53 percent, oversleeping at 33 percent and bad weather at 28 percent, according to the report.
However, some employees reportedly gave their bosses less traditional excuses. Here are 12 of the most bizarre reasons employees have used to explain their tardiness, according to CareerBuilder.
1. I thought of quitting today, but then decided not to, so I came in late.
2. My hair caught on fire from my blow dryer.
3. I was detained by Homeland Security.
4. I had to chase my cows back into the field.
5. A black bear entered my carport and decided to take a nap on the hood of my car.
6. My lizard had to have emergency surgery in the morning and died during surgery. I had to mourn while deciding whether to have the lizard disposed of by the vet or bring the lizard corpse with me to work.
7. There was fresh powder on the hill. I had to go skiing.
8. There was a store grand opening and I wanted to get the opening day sales.
9. I had to finish watching "My Name is Earl."
10. All of my clothes were stolen.
11. I was confused by the time change and unsure if it was "spring forward" or "fall back."
12. A Vaseline truck overturned on the highway and cars were slipping left and right.