A LIRR spokesman says the two people were trespassing on the elevated tracks at 183rd Street and Liberty Avenue in Hollis when they were struck by a westbound train just after 10 p.m.
A law enforcement official tells NBC 4 New York they jumped in front of the train. Both were pronounced dead at the scene.
Westbound trains have been delayed and the train involved in the incident was taken out of service. The railroad says affected riders may be transported by bus.
More New York-Area Stories:
- "Real Housewives" Star Smacks Photog's Camera at Court
- Lawsuit: Girl Kicked Out of Summer Camp Over Kiss
- Man Tries to Rape Pregnant Woman Walking Dog
- Tree Falls on Woman Playing Basketball in Manhattan Park
- 8 Sought in Possible Baseball Bat Bias Attack on NJ Dog Walker