A Chicago company has been named the best small company to work for in the U.S. in an annual ranking of small- and medium-sized companies by Fortune magazine.
Radio Flyer, the maker of the famous little red wagon, nabbed the No. 1 spot on the list of the best small workplaces. Today, the company is the leading producer of wagons, tricycles and three-wheel scooters and employs 58 people in the U.S. and 35 outside of the country.
In its company profile in Fortune magazine, Radio Flyer hit the jackpot for offering telecommuting, compressed work weeks, an onsite fitness center, discounted gym memberships, college tuition reimbursement and paid time off for volunteering, among other things.
In 2004, the company was forced to lay off half of its employees and closed its historic Chicago factory to outsource manufacturing to China. In the years since, however, the company has flourished, and it is consistently named among the best places to work.
To compile the lists of the best small and medium workplaces, Fortune surveyed more than 88,000 workers at 540 companies with25 to 999 employees.
The top five small workplaces are:
1. Radio Flyer — Chicago
2. Square Root — Austin, Texas
3. Granite Properties — Plane, Texas
4. PPR Talent Management Group — Jacksonville Beach, Florida
5. Ruby Receptionists — Portland, Oregon
The top five medium workplaces are:
1. Intuitive Research and Technology — Huntsville, Alabama
2. Atlassian — San Francisco
3. ESL Federal Credit Union — Rochester, New York
4. 4imprint — Oshkosh, Wisconsin
5. Squarespace — New York