Man With Mental Disability Killed in House Fire

Electrical fire claims life of Levittown man

View Comments ()
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    According to investigators an electrical fire broke out at a house in Levittown Monday. David McCardle died in the fire and his elderly grandfather Jack was injured. NBC10's Byron Scott talks to the victims neighbors. (Published Monday, Apr 2, 2012)

    Fire broke out early Monday morning at a home on the 100-block of Everturn Lane in Levittown claiming one man's life and leaving his grandfather in the hospital.

    Two men were sleeping upstairs around 1:30 a.m. when the fire started on the first floor, according to fire investigators on the scene.

    Fire Claims Life of Levittown Man

    [PHI] Fire Claims Life of Levittown Man
    A young man is killed and his grandfather is rushed to the hospital after fire broke out in their home early Monday morning. Neighbors tell NBC10's Marisa Brahney the young victim is in his 30s and is mentally challenged. (Published Monday, Apr 2, 2012)

    David McCardle, 25, was killed, police said. His grandfather Jack McCardle was taken to St. Mary's Hospital with smoke inhalation and burns.

    Jack was pulled out of the home by a neighbor who rushed into help.

    "It was really bad smoke, just couldn't even breathe so I just grabbed him and got him out as far as I could, but there was just nothing I could do for the other guy," said neighbor Eric Watkins.

    Neighbors tell NBC10 that David was mentally challenged. They say he was loved by everyone in the neighborhood.

    "He was the nicest person you ever want to meet in your life and he'd do anything to help you," said Sharon Teichman, victim's friend.

    The cause of the fire appears to be electrical and the result of an overloaded outlet, according to fire investigators.

    There were no working smoke detectors in the home, according to investigators.