NBC10 - Matt DeLucia
A house fire displaced more than one dozen people and cats.
More than one dozen people and three cats fled after flames broke out inside an area row home early this morning. At least 15 other animals were trapped in the basement.
The fire broke out around 4 a.m. inside a home on the 800 block of Upland Avenue in Upland, Pa.
Delaware County investigator Scott Byerly said the fire appeared to have begun in an electric space heater in a bedroom. The fire quickly spread through the home and flames could be seen coming from the roof.
Byerly said that wind helped to push the fire onto a neighboring home as well.
Firefighters said 14 people from two homes -- including three kids under the age of 5 -- all made it out. Some of the residents had to be rescued and the residents of the one home were able to rescue three cats from the home.
Neighbor Joseph Evans said his daughter was getting ready for work when she spotted the blaze and called for help. Evans said firefighters battling the flames had to break a window and cut a hole in the roof of his home as well.
By 6 a.m. the fire appeared to be out.
No one was hurt but the victims were left without a place to stay. The American Red Cross said it would be helping the victims with food and shelter and Red Paws would help the cats rescued from the home.
Animal control officers were being called in to rescue another 15 cats that were trapped in the basement.