Underground Electrical Fire Causes Evacuations in Norristown

Several properties on Main St. have been evacuated.

By Kelly Bayliss
|  Tuesday, Oct 23, 2012  |  Updated 4:52 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Main Street in Norristown has been reopened after being closed because of an underground electrical fire. Investigators say six businesses were also closed after carbon monoxide spread through the underground electrical systems. NBC10's Christine Maddela reports.

NBC10 Philadelphia - Christine Maddela

Main Street in Norristown has been reopened after being closed because of an underground electrical fire. Investigators say six businesses were also closed after carbon monoxide spread through the underground electrical systems. NBC10's Christine Maddela reports.

advertisement

Several properties along 100 block of Main Street in Norristown have been evacuated following an underground electrical fire.

Fire officials say the fire began underground and spread to a Dunkin Donuts. One of the store's employees tried to put out the fire and was injured, according to officials.

She was taken to the hospital with serious burns, but is expected to make a full recovery.

PECO has shut off power to the buildings temporarily.

Fire officials are worried about the threat of carbon monoxide and are ventilating the buildings.

The block is expected to be closed for the remainder of the day.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first 2014... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out