Philadelphia is jam packed with 4th of July activities, which means plenty of road closures and detours in the area.
The Party on the Parkway 4th of July Concert featuring Nicki Minaj, the Roots, Ed Sheeran, and many more means thousands will flock towards the Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Closures are in effect around the Parkway, from Arch Street to Pennsylvania Avenue and 18th to 25th streets, from 5 a.m. to around 5 a.m. on Saturday.
In the historic district, in preparation for the Celebration of Freedom Ceremony and Independence Day Parade near Independence Hall, closed are: 5th and 6th streets, from Market to Walnut, beginning at 5 a.m.; Chestnut Street, between Front and 5th streets, starting at 7 a.m.
All streets affected by the closures are scheduled to be reopened in the historic district by 5 p.m. on July 4th and in the Parkway vicinity by 6 a.m. on July 5th.
From 10:50 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., additional road closures include the following:
- Chestnut and Ranstead streets, from 6th to 9th Street;
- 9th from Chestnut to Market;
- East Market, from 9th Street to Front Street;
- 8th Street, from Arch to Walnut;
- 7th Street, from Walnut to Arch;
- 6th Street, from Arch to Chestnut streets;
- 5th St. from Arch to Market streets;
- Front Street, from Arch to Dock streets;
- 4th Street, from Arch to Walnut;
- 3rd Street, from Walnut to Arch;
- 2nd Street, from Walnut to Arch;
- Strawberry Street, from Market to Chestnut streets;
- Bank Street, from Market to Chestnut
Due to the mass of people traveling, city officials are really encouraging people to use public transit. All SEPTA Regional Rail, bus, trolley, and Market-Frankford and Broad Street Line services will operate on a Sunday schedule on July 4th, with additional late-night service to accommodate concert-goers.
Bus routes also will be detoured in the immediate area as following:
- SEPTA will reroute its Chestnut Street buses: Routes 21, 42, 9 as well as establish detours for Route 2 on 16th Street. The following is a description of the detoured bus lines:
- Route 9 – Southbound via Market Street: Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/4th St., regular route.
- Route 21 – Eastbound via Chestnut Street: Left/20th St., Right/Market St., Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/12th St., Left/Chestnut St., regular route.
- Route 42 – Eastbound via Chestnut Street: Left/20th St., Right/Market St., Right/15th St., Left/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Right/Market St., Right/12th St., Left/Chestnut St., regular route.
- Northbound via 16th Street: Right/Locust St., Left/Broad St., Right/South Penn Square, Left/Juniper St., Left/John F. Kennedy Blvd., Right/16th St., regular route
Bus lines and roads are scheduled to be restored after midnight.
To stay updated on the latest traffic and travel alerts check the NBC10.com Traffic Page.