Quakertown Gas Leak Causes Dozens of Evacuations

View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print

    NEWSLETTERS

    Residents are allowed back in their homes after an early morning gas leak in Quakertown, Pa. NBC10's Tim Furlong reports. (Published Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013)

    A gas leak caused the evacuation of 52 people from their Quakertown, Pa. homes for hours this morning.

    About 14 buildings, including homes, were evacuated on the 200 block of N Ambler Street around 1 a.m. due to high readings of natural gas in the area after a resident smelled gas in his/her basement, according to Buck County fire dispatchers.

    Bucks County Homes Evacuated

    [PHI] Bucks County Homes Evacuated
    More than 50 people were evacuated from their homes Tuesday morning due to a gas leak along Ambler Street in Quakertown, Pa. NBC10's Tim Furlong reports. (Published Tuesday, Mar 19, 2013)

    The leak was potentially dangerous, according to firefighters.

    No one was hurt.

    Most evacuees went to stay with family and friends while some were taken to a makeshift shelter in borough hall so they could get out of the cold.

    NBC10's Tim Furlong reported that you could smell gas in the air when he arrived but by 4:30 a.m. the smell began to dissipate as UGI crews capped the 2-inch line.

    Crews told Furlong that by 5:30 a.m. the situation was under control and that there was no imminent danger.

    Around 6:30 a.m. residents began to return to their homes and by 7 a.m. the scene appeared clear except for a UGI crew.

     


    Get the latest from NBC10 Philadelphia anytime: Android/iPhone/iPad Apps | SMS Alerts | Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Instagram | RSS