Philly Man Dies From Carbon Monoxide Exposure

First death in the city due to carbon monoxide poisoning since 2008

By Teresa Masterson
|  Tuesday, Feb 1, 2011  |  Updated 4:45 PM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Philly Man Dies From Carbon Monoxide Exposure

advertisement

Officials say a Philadelphia man has died of carbon monoxide poisoning after being found unconscious in his home.

The death is the first in the city due to carbon monoxide poisoning since 2008, the commissioner told the Inquirer.

Fire officials say the unidentified man was found Tuesday morning by a woman who also lived at the North Philadelphia home.

The woman was transported to a hospital for treatment of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers says the investigation is ongoing but officials suspect a broken and blocked flue pipe is responsible.

Ayers says the concentration of the odorless, colorless gas was more than eight times what is considered dangerous and would have been detectable by a carbon monoxide alarm. No such device was found in the home.
 

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
FlyeredUp: Win 2 Tickets to Flyers Playoff Game
Win two tickets to the first... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out