People Sickened by Carbon Monoxide at Philly Hotel

By Karen Araiza
|  Friday, Jul 4, 2014  |  Updated 6:57 AM EDT
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
People are now allowed to return to their Crescentville hotel after a carbon monoxide scare early Friday morning. It all started from a power outage.

NBC10.com

People are now allowed to return to their Crescentville hotel after a carbon monoxide scare early Friday morning. It all started from a power outage.

Five people were taken by ambulance to Philly hospitals and dozens more made the trip on their own after being sickened by carbon monoxide overnight at a Days Inn hotel.

During last night's storm, the hotel, which is located along the Roosevelt Boulevard in the Crescentville area, lost power.

Staffers turned on a generator in the basement.

According to police on the scene, that generator filled the building with carbon monoxide, which is a colorless, odorless, tasteless and potentially deadly gas.

Shortly after midnight, people began to get nauseous and dizzy. The hotel was evacuated as emergency crews arrived and took over.

Close to 100 people are currently staying at the hotel.

The building was aired out and people were allowed back in before daybreak.

Get the latest headlines sent to your inbox!
View Comments (
)
|
Email
|
Print
Leave Comments
What's New
10 Questions With
We sit down with some of the... Read more
Follow Us
Sign up to receive news and updates that matter to you.
Send Us Your Story Tips
Check Out